Let me start by stating how I felt as my plane approached landing. Inside I felt a mix of excitement, nervousness, intimidation, eagerness, exhaustion, and timidity (hahahaha yes, me being a little timid). During my flight I was immediately immersed in Portuguese and quickly I became aware of how difficult communicating with only Spanish and English would be. So, I said nothing. I sat in my seat thinking of how awkward it would be to sit next to this woman without saying anything the whole flight. So I planned it out. I would say hi at dinner...everyone talks at dinner. But, dinner came and dinner passed. My exhaustion eventually set in and I fell asleep for some time. I had, at this point, given up on the idea of talking during this flight. But, with breakfast came conversation! She spoke English on top of her Portuguese. I quickly learned that her husband is a UFC fighter, The Axe Murderer, who is a coach on the Brazilian UFC reality show. She was really cool, talked to me all about the city, Carnival, etc. Awesome.
Alright, so immediately upon de-boarding the plane my skin was bear hugged by humidity and perspiration set in as I sat in the customs line for a long hour and a half. It was hot and it was humid and it was crowded! Look I know it's been a warm winter in Chicago, but it could never have prepared me for this. Customs stamped my passport without hesitation and without checking my bags. I wound up talking to a tourist office that informed me that the metro would be the easiest way to get to where I was going so I hopped on a bus, then on some trains, and after nearly 24 hours of straight travel, I landed in a hostel. I was drained! However my hunger and eagerness to see that which surrounded me outweighed my need for sleep. I walked all around. The city sounded like drums, guitars, Portuguese, horns, and buses. It smelled like fried food, perspired alcohol, and of course, nature mixed with trash. I found my way to a little eatery and picked out what seemed to be something new and fried to eat. I sat down at a table with a cup full of pineapple juice and took a bite. A mixture of grave disappointment and humor arose as I realized I had spoiled my first Brazilian eating with a corn dog! I finished my "food" and continued on my way.
I ended up finding what had to have been the biggest tree I've ever seen in my life, and I popped a squat under it and watched the city go by, and as the rain came, I stayed seated. A short while later I found myself back at the hostel all wet and what not, and decided it was best to stay in my wet clothes and just get a nap ASAP while it was still raining. I ended up sleeping a lot of the afternoon which was much needed and definitely didn't keep me from sleeping that night just fine.
I woke up around 9:30 to a breakfast of fruit, toast, and coffee. I thought about a shower, even went to the shower, but quickly convinced myself that a run was in order. I threw on my shoes and headed out. My run was great besides all of the cigarette smoke and booze I was inhaling. I went back to the hostel, thought about showering again, but I was informed of a park I had to check out so I decided to just head right out. The park was gorgeous and so active--runners, bikers, rollerbladers, skateboarders, long-boarders, etc. You name it, it was there. I spent most of the morning/afternoon there. Then, I cleaned up and headed to a street which was known for its Saturday street bands, food, markets, and activities. I finally got myself some food. Some of which was phenomenal, and some not so much, but new favors are new adventures and the adventure is worthwhile in itself. I'll tell you I felt like Anthony Bourdaine in this place. The night came along with more rain and eventually I found myself passed out again.
I arose this morning, crawled out of bed trying not to miss breakfast in order to save some money, and as soon as my toes hit the ground, pain shot up my leg. My calves were rocked! Sore doesn't even begin to describe the way they felt. I got myself rolling, headed to the bus station to buy my ticket to Rio, and spent the afternoon exploring more of the city. I made it to Japanese Town and finally got a real meal instead of just some things here or there. I was sitting on this curb eating and watching the activity as a homeless woman comes up to me with her daughter. (It's moments like these that I especially wish I spoke Portuguese). I respond to her questioning with some Spanish hoping something would get across as this woman points to my food and her daughter. I couldn't even consider not sharing. I gave it away and prayed that it would bless them as they continued on their way. I followed that by visiting the large cathedral in the "downtown" area. I spent some time in prayer and worship and as I walked out the opposing doors, what lay before me was the eye of the storm. Music, outdoor preaching, homelessness, food, traffic...I found myself amazed at how people walk by the poverty and homelessness as if it didn't exist. And I thought to myself that it happens everywhere. We have a destination in mind when we leave our comfortable homes, and we desire no inconveniences or interruptions on the way. We fear the poor and that fear may cause us to walk faster. We're used to the poor, so we can ignore THEM. Boys barefooted and dirty walk by and we become nervous. What we have here is the reality that poverty has a face. What we fail to see/hear/feel/understand, is that poverty has a story too. But, we may never have known poverty ourselves so we fear the unknown, or we may have felt its sting in the past and be fearful of its return, so we ignore it. I remember when I was in Ethiopia, walking around, having lunch with people on the streets, praying for people, and just sitting next to them, realizing that just as much as God had called and purposed me to be there, he too had a call and a purpose for these people. And to a degree its my job and calling to not just feed and clothe the poor, but to show them how to dream and seek their purpose. Because if God has purpose and vision in my life I have no doubt that he has purpose and vision in the lives of all others as well, including the poor. Now I myself just need to dream and pray some more and see how I play into this reality. How, in my life, can I make a difference in this world? How can I leave this place a little bit better than when I arrived? And you, how can leave it better?
I have just finished a meal at the hostel, sitting on the floor around a low table eating some free, unknown, delicious food with 6 people who all speak different languages--making dinner conversation comically difficult. I couldn't have ended my time here in Sao Paulo any better. Tonight my journey continues as I head to Rio de Janeiro. I am deeply looking forward to fresh fruit, some good hiking, and of course, the beach! I love you all! Dream big!!!!



























Hey Syd, how are you so cool? Sounds like your journey in Brazil will be exciting and eye opening. Hope you have the best time with all that you do.
ReplyDeleteHaha thanks Thom :)
ReplyDeleteI'd love to visit Sao Paolo! Keep the updates coming!
ReplyDelete